If you go to the doctor’s for a physical, you will likely be asked to provide a urine sample. Testing of the urine is called “urinalysis.” And as ‘unsexy’ as this topic is, this yellow fluid is your body’s liquid waste and can reveal a lot about your health.
In the morning perhaps after a night of overdoing it on the alcohol, you may hear someone say: “I’m going to go in the sauna or force myself to work out, so I can sweat out all the toxins.”
Parents have enough to worry about! Toxic metals shouldn’t be one of them. However, whether we like it or not, lead is all around us -- in drinking water, lipsticks, older paints, foods, soil, air and dust. Although it’s a naturally occurring heavy metal found in small amounts in the Earth’s crust, it can be toxic to your health and even more toxic to your little ones.
Consumers and advocates have raised concerns over some of the ingredients in beauty products, like phthalates, parabens and, in the case of lipsticks, lead. It’s really become an issue where you as the consumer have to be proactive instead of relying on government agencies and regulations. That’s because overall, with the exception of coal-tar hair dyes, your cosmetics don’t need FDA approval to hit the shelves.
If you’re like most people, there are so many different chemicals in your home. Cookware, cleaning products, shower curtains, furniture, carpet and paint are just a few of the items in your home that may contain toxic substances. But while “chemical” has become somewhat of a dirty word, not all chemicals are “bad.” There are natural chemicals found in fruits and veggies, for example, in very small amounts. It’s more so the amount you are exposed to that you need to be cautious of -- especially if they are “endocrine disruptors.”
Each year, at least 430 people in the U.S. die due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 50,000 people visit the emergency department because of it, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. However, carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable! Being proactive about carbon monoxide (CO) could save your life.
For years, scientific studies have been sounding the alarm that antibacterial soaps may do more harm than good. Now, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is putting its foot down, issuing a ban against 19 ingredients, including the most common ones -- triclosan and triclocarban. Makers of these soaps have one year to remove the banned ingredients; luckily, some have already begun phasing them out. The reason? These ingredients may be putting your health at risk, and quite frankly, they’re no better than regular ol’ soap and water!
Looking for beauty products to even out your skin tone and provide a more youthful complexion? Be sure to check the labels before you buy! The FDA warns that certain products that are marketed as skin-lighteners and anti-aging treatments actually contain the metal mercury. People with mercury levels above what the body can tolerate can experience fatigue, numbness, nerve damage, atherosclerosis, heart attacks and high blood pressure.
What is mercury? Other than being a silver liquid in dangerous old thermometers, mercury is a toxic metal occurring naturally in the earth. You may have heard phrases like “mercury toxicity,” making you wonder how mercury can hurt us. So, let’s find out what mercury does in our bodies.
Pesticides have a bad name among health-conscious consumers. Many are concerned about the health implications of pesticide exposure, especially among children, pets and the shrinking honeybee population. But farmers who use them might say that pesticides are necessary chemicals for protecting their crops from parasitic insects and a multitude of plant diseases. Farmers constantly face the challenge of new and old crop diseases, and they have to make sure their crops aren’t responsible for spreading any illnesses among consumers. Let’s be proactive and understand how pesticides may be affecting your health.
A chemical that has been linked to cancer cell growth is being used by millions of Americans in toothpaste every day. It’s called triclosan, and it is an FDA-approved antibacterial ingredient. Triclosan is a broad-spectrum antibacterial antifungal agent that is added to many cosmetics and personal care products, including some toothpastes, soaps and cosmetics. But should you be worried?
Almost everyone has heard the phrase “mad as a hatter,” but most people don’t know that it originated in 18th century England when hatters exposed to mercury salts literally went “mad” from the toxicity. Three centuries later, toxins in our homes and environment continue to be a threat to healthy brain function.
Share Your Story And Help Others Live Healthier LivesAdd My Story
We recommend Science-Based Products from Metagenics